“Beautiful skin begins with exceptional skin care, which requires commitment, not a miracle”.
Svetlana M. Danovich MD, PhD, FACS
Winter is officially here which means freezing temperatures, harsh winds and central heating – all things that unfortunately have a detrimental effect on a healthy, radiant complexion. It is a monumentally important task to hydrate and protect skin during this wintry time of the year. Here are SD winter skincare tips and must-have products to keep you glowing.
This is the single best thing you can do for your face and body. You have to drink water to prevent the premature appearance of the fine lines and wrinkles because water not only plumps the skin but it encourages collagen production which ensures the cohesion, elasticity and regeneration of skin. It also helps to flush toxins out of the body that can improve scars and pore appearance by enhancing the essential glow of your complexion.
2. Face Wash
When it comes to taking off your makeup and cleaning your face, avoid skin wipes at all costs. Not only are most full of nasty chemicals, they’re incredibly drying. Pick a kind face wash that’ll calm your skin, gently get rid of dirt and won’t leave your face with that horrible “stripped” feeling.
Here are some of my favorites.
Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cleanser for its gel-like formula that gently turns into a light foam. It cleans the skin and completely removes makeup (even waterproof) without you having to scrub your eyes or use boiling hot water.
La Mer’s The Cleansing Foam is designed with sea algae fibers and white pearl powder, which gently purify and energize skin for a bright, healthy-looking complexion. The Miracle Broth™ infuses skin with precious nutrients, immersing it in moisture and energy.
Exfoliating with 100% natural fine beads once or twice a week is the key to a brighter complexion to eliminate blackheads and dirt while absorbing excess oils and toxins.
I recommend you look into Neal’s Yard Remedies Wild Rose Beauty Balm. It can be used as a rich cleanser, gentle exfoliant or deeply nourishing balm - to quench areas of dry or dehydrated skin. It contains high levels of wild rosehip oil - a potent antioxidant proven to help repair, firm and smooth the skin - and is combined with geranium, starflower, hemp and rosemary seed oil, to help decongest and enrich the skin, restoring its natural radiance.
Think of a serum as more of a concentrated, lightweight moisturizer. By leaving out lubricants and thickening agents typically found in face creams, the active ingredients are able to penetrate the skin much faster.
Use your serum in conjunction with your moisturizer, on it’s own, night, day or both.
Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate: This top-rated face serum is a customer favorite. It is formulated with ingredients like Lavender Essential Oil and Evening Primrose Oil to restore skinovernight. The distilled botanicals will improve firmness and elasticity for replenished, radiant skin.
Winter skincare’s saving grace, moisturizing is essential but it's crucial that you get the right one for your skin type.
My favorite moisturizers for dry skin are Chantecaille La Crème A La Rose De Ma, Crème de la Mer, Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine Cream Ultra-Rich, Origin’s Mega Mushroom Skin Relief or Nivea’s Rich Moisturizing Day Cream.
6. SPF Protection
We cannot stress the importance of wearing SPF every day even if it’s cloudy and raining. UV light is always present and will cause irreversible damage if it’s not protected against.
SPF should always be the last step in your skincare routine and the first in your makeup. You must buy a product thatprotects against both UVA (long-wave rays) and UVB (short-ray waves) and go no lower than SPF30 in order to fully protect against burning, pigmentation change, dark spots and f premature aging.
7. Lip Balm
The Lip Balm by La Mer is something worth investing in. Thinner than any other area of the face, the lips are virtually defenseless against subtle changes in wind, temperature and dryness-requiring special attention. The Lip Balm is a luxurious and intensely reparative formula that works on contact to soften roughness, relieve discomfort and help rejuvenate seriously dry lips.
La Mer’s The Lip Balm is used by Beauty Editors the world over to renew the delicate lip area while a patented Lip Lipid Complex delivers moisture and strengthens lips' moisture barrier to help prevent further damage. I'd also recommend something like By Terry Balm de Rose.
8. Night Oil
Night oil is a fantastic product. Your skin's nocturnal blood flow is much higher which means it's more susceptible to product and more likely to renew (plus it has 8 hours to work).
- For those with intensely dry skin go for Flora , which is a thick oil that nourishes fatigued skin and contains essence from five different roses, meaning it’s incredibly soothing.
- For those with oily skin it may seem odd to recommend using a night oil but Sunday Riley’s Artemis works to actively reduce problem areas. Weightless but luxurious, extracts of Black Cumin Seed Oil will boost immune cells that maintain healthy skin and Milk Thistle Seed Oil will encourage toxin-fighting enzymes to prevent break-outs.
- For those who are looking for an ultimate and luxurious skin glow with new vitality I recommend the Renewal Oil from La Mer. This dual-phase elixir blends Miracle Broth™ and sea-sourced actives, unleashing a wave of activity to infuse skin with youth. The look of emerging lines and wrinkles is softened and skin feels firmer. Miracle Broth™ helps energize skin’s natural repair. Day by day, skin’s natural barrier becomes more resilient and skin is hydrated.
Taking supplements every day will really help you to maintain adequate levels of nutrition, especially during the colder seasons when your skin needs it.
I recommend Life Pack Nano. A proprietary innovation in anti-aging protection with advanced bioavailability and maximum benefits:
- Nourishes and protects cells, tissues, and organs in the body with the specific purpose to guard against the ravages of aging each day of your lifespan
- Superior bioavailability with CR-6 LipoNutrients™ enhances uptake from the gut into the bloodstream and body for maximum anti-aging benefits
- Advanced anti-aging formula helps protect the body with key nutrients such as NanoCoQ10™ and nano carotenoids
- Helps maintain normal inflammatory responses in the body
- Feeds and helps protect the brain with DHA and EPA (two CR-6 LipoNutrient™ softgels contain the same amount of EPA and DHA as two MarineOmega softgels)
- Offers superior DNA protection against damaging free radical attacks by providing the body with important antioxidants and phytonutrients such as alpha-lipoic acid and catechins
- Protects cell health with an antioxidant defense network
- Promotes healthy immune function
- Corrects nutritional deficiencies